The Anglican Church in North America is in the process of developing a new text for common prayer. A quality paper edition of what has been described as the ‘bible arranged for worship’ should be published in 2019. Meanwhile all of the major liturgies are posted online and available for parishes, families and individuals to use now while the final edition is under review. The new prayer book is based on the use of the English Standard Bible; some say the best modern translation for use in public worship situations. The lectionary (list of bible readings for each Sunday) is based on the ESV. For this reason we have switched our pew bibles from the NIV to the ESV. The new bibles are slightly larger and the print is clearer and hopefully easier to read. Since we are ‘Church of the Word’ we like to have our people follow along in the printed word, or listen attentively to the spoken word. We want our adults and children to be able to find Jeremiah or Romans or Matthew and get used to looking up chapters and verses. Here are some suggestions which will help you to make the best use of this resource.
- If you are the lector for some Sunday, you can look up the readings ahead of time online at biblegateway.com some people might like to print them out in larger print to make them easier to read. Make sure you choose ESV edition.
- At the back of this pew bible is a section of responsive readings which we might use in worship.
- If your children are with you practice finding book, chapter and verse with them. Help them follow along with their finger under each word. Encourage them to participate in the response after each reading. The word of the Lord – Thanks be to God!
- Because they are larger and new, we should store them on the book case, after each Sunday’s worship, instead of being stacked with the chairs.
- Don’t write in the bibles or fold the corners of pages. Don’t stuff objects like pens into the book.
- If you want your own copy for home use we can sell you one for $10 and we will order a replacement when we need an extra case.
- Do please use the Scripture Union bible reading notes available for free and pick up a the essential bible challenge cards describing 100 key bible stories. A great place to start in your reading.